According to one of the research reports, the financial sector has been the second-largest source of data breaches over the past years. 50 percent of these data breaches resulted from malicious or criminal attacks. To keep a track of the on-going data breaches, the Cyble Research Team has always been on their toes.
Recently, Cyble Research Team (CRU) came across a threat actor who claims to have breached the database of the UAE Invest Bank – Founded in the year 1975, and is one of the banks who have supported the Government of Sharjah raise a $1 billion 30- year Formosa bond, its first non-Islamic benchmark bond and the first under a Global Medium Term Note program. The bank was recognized as the 4th best performing bank in GCC conducted by on 70 Gulf commercial Banks by Darien Middle East.
Given the sensitivity of the matter, Cyble researchers investigated further and verified that the threat actor has got hold of Invest Bank’s database records along with the database tables structure.
Critical information obtained after further analysing the data breach -:
- The size of the database being breaches is around 7.5GB.
- The data breach led to the exposure of 29 database tables containing different types of data linked to the users such as credit and debit card data, transaction details, bank accounts details, and much more.
- Sample of Invest Bank’s user records containing: full name, card number, bank code, address, account number, date of birth, and much more.
Cyble has been reporting these types of breaches to aware individuals of the risks associated with using online services.
We recommend people to:
- Never share personal information, including financial information over the phone, email or SMSs
- Use strong passwords and enforce multi-factor authentication where possible
- Regularly monitor your financial transaction, if you notice any suspicious transaction, contact your bank immediately.
- Turn-on automatic software update feature on your computer, mobile and other connected devices where possible and pragmatic
- Use a reputed anti-virus and internet security software package on your connected devices including PC, Laptop, Mobile
- People who are concerned about their exposure in darkweb can register at AmiBreached.com to ascertain their exposure.
Cyble is an Atlanta, US-based, global premium cyber-security firm with tools and capabilities to provide near real-time cyber threat intelligence.
Cyble Inc.’s mission is to provide organizations with a real-time view of their supply chain cyber threats and risks. Their SaaS-based solution powered by machine learning and human analysis provides organizations’ insights to cyber threats introduced by suppliers and enables them to respond to them faster and more efficiently.
This monitoring and notification platform give the average consumer insights into their personal cybersecurity issues, allowing them to take action then as needed. It has recently earned accolades from Forbes as being the top 20 cyber-security companies to watch in 2020.