According to one of the cyber research reports, the global technology sector has seen the highest proportions of cyber-attacks during 2019. The NTT’s threat intelligence report states the technology sector as the target of 25% of all cyberattacks.
Recently, during the continuous monitoring of deepweb and darkweb, the Cyble Research Team came across a disclosure post in which REvil ransomware operators claimed to have breached Ma Labs – Founded in 1983 and is one of the leading computer component distributors in the United States. With over 1200 employees the company has been earning annual revenue of around $2 billion.
The REvil ransomware operators have claimed the attack through the message posted on their online blog-:
Some of the significant information that our researchers gathered after going through the disclosure post and snapshots of the sample data leak is detailed below-:
- The REvil group claims to have got hold of 949 GB of the company’s confidential information from the central servers of Ma Labs.
- The REvil group states that the company’s systems have been affected on more than 1000 servers.
- Due to this data breach, confidential data of the company which includes documents containing sensitive information, details of employees, clients, partners, and much more have been put to risk of being leaked online.
- Currently, the ransomware operators have shared a few screenshots to support their claim in which you can spot data files such as shares issue certificates, bank-related files, emails.
- The REvil group threatens Ma Labs to start auction of leaked data in 48 hours.
Cyble has been reporting these types of breaches to aware individuals of the risks associated with using online services.
Tips on how to prevent ransomware attacks –
- Never click on unverified/unidentified links
- Do not open untrusted email attachments
- Only download from sites you trust
- Never use unfamiliar USBs
- Use security software and keep it updated
- Backup your data periodically
- Isolate the infected system from the network
- Use mail server content scanning and filtering
It is recommended to follow above mentioned prevention methods and never pay the ransom.
Cyble is an Atlanta, US-based, global premium cyber-security firm with tools and capabilities to provide near real-time cyber threat intelligence.
Cyble Inc.’s mission is to provide organizations with a real-time view of their supply chain cyber threats and risks. Their SaaS-based solution powered by machine learning and human analysis provides organizations’ insights to cyber threats introduced by suppliers and enables them to respond to them faster and more efficiently.
This monitoring and notification platform gives the average consumer insights into their personal cybersecurity issues, allowing them to take action then as needed. It has recently earned accolades from Forbes as being the top 20 cyber-security companies to watch in 2020.